Look to the left for more info. on Houses for sale and rent, Businesses, Employment, restaurant menus, & more!
Want to know what's going on in the city? Watch City Pulse! each week on EIO!
Local City Government
1505 South B Street Elwood, IN 46036
Hours: 8:30 to 5:00 - Monday thru Friday
|Local Government||Phone Number||Email Address|
|Mayor: Ron Arnoldfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mayors Secretary: Stacie Andersonemail@example.com|
|Economic Development: William (Bill) Savagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|City Attorney: James Wilsonemail@example.com|
|Judge: Kyle Noone||765-552-2655||Judge@cityofelwood.com|
|Treasurer: Allison Atwoodfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Building Commission: Tom Doan (Commissioner)
|Police Department: Sam Hanna (Chief)||email@example.com|
|Fire Department: Brad Compton (Fire Chief)
|Pipe Creek Fire Department||765-552-2020|
|Pipe Creek Trustee's Office: Pat Hoose (Trustee)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Water Department: Glen Murray (Superintendent)||email@example.com|
|Street Department: Jim Robertson (Commissioner)||765-552-2711|
|Elwood public library: Jamie Scott (Director)||765-552-5001|
|Elwood Post Office||765-552-6322|
|City Chaplain: Reverend Joe Collier||765-552-9788|
City Council Members
|City Council District #1||Todd Jones||(765) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|City Council District #2||Tim Roby||(765) email@example.com|
|City Council District #3||David Savage|
|City Council District #4||Eric Reese||(765) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|City Council District #5||Kim Everson||(765) email@example.com|
|City Council At Large||Pat Rice|
|City Council At Large||Brent Boston||(765) firstname.lastname@example.org|
Board of Works & Public Safety
|Mayor Ron E. Arnold||Albert McPhearson||Merrill Taylor||David Savage|
Local Government Meetings
|Type of Meeting||Normally on||Time||Location|
|City Council Meetings||1st Monday of the month||7pm||City Hall Building|
|Board of Works Meetings||3rd Wednesday of the month||4:30pm||City Hall Building|
|Planning Committee Meetings||3rd Monday of the month||6pm||City Hall Building|
|Park Board Meetings||3rd Monday of the month||7pm||Callaway Park Shelter House|
Past Elwood Mayors
|W. Merrill Taylor, Democrat 2004 to 2011||George Bonham, Republican 1939 to 1942|
|Philip K. Metzger, Republican 2000 to 2003||Orla A. Wann, Democrat 1935 to 1938|
|Jerry D. Werline, Democrat 1995 to 1999||George Bonham, Republican 1930 to 1934|
|Denny Robinson, Democrat 1992 to 1994||Charles Foster, Democrat 1929 to 1930|
|Blair Englehart, Democrat 1988 to 1991||W.A. Faust, Democrat 1922 to 1928|
|Phil Orbaugh, Republican 1984 to 1987||John G. Lewis, Socialist 1918 to 1921|
|Webb Morris, Democrat 1980 to 1983||Francis M. Harbit, Reform 1914 to 1917|
|Lynn Chase, Democrat 1976 to 1979||Austin Brumbaugh, Democrat 1910 to 1913|
|Eugene Smith, Republican 1968 to 1975||O.A. Armfield, Republican 1908 to 1909|
|Luther Stockdale, Democrat 1961 to 1967||John W. Call, Republican 1904 to 1907|
|Robert Fortson, Democrat 1956 to 1960||William C. Smith, Democrat 1902 to 1903|
|Elmo Gustin, Republican 1952 to 1955||Francis M. Harbit, Reform 1898 to 1901|
|Elmer Tunis, Democrat 1943 to 1951||William DeHority, Democrat 1891 to 1897|
|Hinds Career Center||1105 North 19th Street||765-552-9881|
|Elwood Community School Corp||1306 North Anderson Street||765-552-9861|
|Elwood Elementary School||940 North 19th Street||765-552-7381|
|Elwood Middle School||1207 North 19th Street||765-552-7378|
|Elwood High School||1137 North 19th Street||765-552-9854|
|St. Vincent Mercy Hospital||1331 South A Street||765 552-4600|
|Northern Madison County Community Health Center||1518 Main Street||765 552-0841|
|Center for Mental Health||10731 N State Rd 13||765 552-5009|
|Fresenius Medical Care||1805 South Anderson St||765 557-2362|
|Park Place Assisted Living||2304 Parkview Lane||765 552-1742|
|Community Parkview Care Center||2300 Parkview Lane||765 552-9844|
|American Electric Power||www.indianamichiganpower.com||800-311-4634|
|The American Legion Post 53
||220 Main Street||765 552-1055|
|Chamber of Commerce||108 South Anderson Street||765 552-0180|
|The Elks Lodge||1700 South Anderson St.||765 552-2313|
|The YMCA||1620 Main Street||765 552-9808|
Elwood is a city in Madison and Tipton counties in the U.S. state of Indiana. The Madison County portion, which includes most of the city, is part of the Anderson, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area, while the small portion in Tipton County is part of the Kokomo, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The first name for Elwood was Quincy, so named by James Anderson, Mark Simmons and J.B. Frazier in 1853. Since there was already a Quincy in Indiana's Spencer County, they chose the name of Duck Creek for the large duck swamp nearby. The name of Elwood came from the son of Mr. Frazier when someone pointed to the boy and said, "Why not call it Elwood?" So it was named on July 21, 1869.
NOTED NOTABLES: Wendell L. Willkie, Politician. Perhaps one of the biggest days in the history of Elwood was August 17th, 1940, when Wendell L. Willkie, a native of the community, came back to accept the Republican Nomination for President of the United States.
Elwood is located at (40.274109, -85.838047)
According to the 2010 Census , as of 2010, there were 8,614 people, 4,099 households, and 2,660 families residing in the city.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,986, and the median income for a family was $36,239. Males had a median income of $31,527 versus $19,947 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,402. About 11.7% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.0% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over.
The violent crime rating for Elwood is 1. The scale is from 1 (low crime) to 10 (violent). Violent crimes are composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 4.
The property crime rating for Elwood is 6 on a scale from 1 (low) to 10 (high). Property crimes include the offense of burglary, larceny (theft), motor vehicle theft, and arson. Theft type offenses are "the taking of money or property, but no force or threat of force against the victims". The US average is 4.
Core Competencies and Competitive Advantages
It is often referred to as the “Heart of Hoosierland.” The Anderson/Madison County Corporation for Economic Development reports that the city is an agricultural and industrial center. It has also recently reinvested in it’s school system, there is ample housing, a traditional downtown, city hall, and a local hospital.
The City also has a highly resourceful and engaged Chamber of Commerce that offers many services to its members that are beneficial to new as well as established businesses. Some of these services include advertising within the Chamber of Commerce offices and access to the resources at the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Satellite Office. The SBDC office offers business services, business seminars, training sessions, and workshops. The SBDC also provides referrals to different professional experts, such as lawyers and accountants.
Due to the City of Elwood’s location in Madison County and Indiana at large, the city has access to a number of tax incentives and programs to assist in the attraction and retention of new businesses. This portfolio includes property tax abatement as well as other Indiana State programs, like the Research and Development Tax Credit, the Automatic Property Tax Deduction, and permitting assistance.
The City offers it’s own unique events and attractions for residents and visitors such as the Chamber of Commerce’s annual Glass Festival. The Elwood Opera House which was built in 1887 and is historically significant building currently has offices and a banquet hall for events. In addition, there are three sites in the city, also located in the downtown, that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the Wendell Wilkie School, the Elwood Train Depot and the Elwood Downtown District which is home to a number of speciality businesses.
The Elwood Glass Festival which is the pride of the community and one of the leading festivals in central Indiana has been Elwood’s largest annual event for over 30 years and is another event put together by The Elwood Chamber of Commerce, sponsorships from local businesses, and other volunteers from the community.
The annual Glass Festival is held the third weekend of August and lasts three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The festival is a tribute to Elwood’s unique beautifully crafted, hand-blown art-glass that is produced in the community’s two art-glass factories, House of Glass and Prestige Crystal.
The glass festival includes a Scholarship Pageant and a Parade. Other attractions include carnival rides, the Vintage Rollers Car Show which bring more than 300 classic and antique cars each year, craft, food and collectibles booths, interesting demonstrations, fun contests, live bands and other different performances on the Main Stage at Callaway Park.
Free Bus tours are available daily during the festival which include: both glass factories, Spencer’s Lapidary, Venus Chocolate Shop, New Day Meadery, and The Historic Elwood Opera House.
The Annual Red Gold® Chili Cook-Off is held in the month of October in historic downtown Elwood. The event is co-sponsored by the Elwood Chamber of Commerce and feature the unique chili recipes of competing teams, ranging in tastes from sweet-and-mild to hot-and-spicy. Each team is given complimentary Red Gold® products for use in their recipe, and the teams compete for cash prizes provided by Red Gold®.
The event is held around the fountain area of the Elwood Municipal Building located at South B and Anderson streets. The Booths usually open at 9:30 a.m. with chili tasting beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Mary Beth Dunnichay Aquatic Center is a newly remodeled pool dedicated to a local Olympian swimmer Mary Beth Dunnichay. The Mary Beth Dunnichay Aquatic Center is available to rent during off hours. To reserve, call the Elwood YMCA at (765) 552-9808.
The Elwood Community Fair began in June 2006 and was planned the first weekend of June but due to a hard rain was moved to the second weekend and it has stayed the 2nd weekend of June since.
The sole purpose of the fair is to reach out to the community of Elwood and surrounding areas giving back to them, ministering in the gospel of Jesus, bringing His love, joy, hope, peace of mind and faith to people in need. By giving freely through the communion of food, laughter and fun to kids and families without them having to dish anything out because the love of Christ is FREE!
For families, friends and kids to enjoy a day together getting to know outreaches and resources around them that are useful to their well being and best interests in mind and also to break down denominational walls in our church communities by working together reaching out with the love of Christ as a whole body of believers establishing the goal to supply for people from the hands of the Lord Who is our provider.
The Elwood Farmer's Market A group dedicated to providing fresh produce to the community and visitors. Local farmers and gardeners offer locally grown produce and goods every Saturday morning in the late spring through fall.
Colts' Blue Friday is sponsored by Red Gold and the local Chamber of Commerce. The Colts Blue Friday event includes the Colts cheerleaders, the Colts in Motion Traveling Museum, the Books for Youth program, and Colts give-a-ways.
Elwood Concerts in the Park All concerts are family friendly, free to the public, held at Callaway Park (North 19th St. Elwood) and the place to be! Bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy the concerts and the family priced concessions. Rain doesn’t stop us. Rain location is in the park shelter house. To hear samples of the bands and learn about us visit our web site elwoodconcertsinthepark.org
Overall, the parks department manages eight city parks in Elwood. The parks range from small neighborhood parks to larger urban parks and athletic fields. Approximately 207 acres of parks, recreational and open space land is owned by other local entities, such as public and private schools, golf courses, and cemeteries. Although not managed by the parks department, these lands are important when considering outdoor amenities available to the residents of Elwood.
The largest and oldest city park, Callaway Park, is located on the north side of Elwood. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Callaway donated the land to the city in 1917 with the stipulation that it only be used by the City as parkland. On July 4, 1918, the land was officially dedicated as Callaway Park. As the most widely used park in the Elwood Parks and Recreation System, the park offers a variety of recreational facilities, including the Birch Bayh Senior Center, the Harry Bridges Little League Baseball Fields, the Zak Clark Skate Park, softball fields, and a small soccer field. The park offers picnic areas, a gazebo, shelter houses, and is home to the annual Elwood Glass Festival.
Rock Garden Park
A new addition to the Elwood Parks and Recreation System is Rock Garden Park. The seven acre site on the north side of the City is currently an undeveloped grassy field just south of Edgewood Elementary School. Big Duck Creek forms the border on the north side.
Joseph Morris/12th Street Park
On the northwest side of the city is a small neighborhood park, Joe Morris/12th Street Park. The one acre park features mostly active recreational opportunities, including an open play field, playground equipment, and two half-court basketball facilities.
Wendell Willkie Memorial Park
Just north of downtown Elwood, this small 4.85 acre park was named in honor of Wendell Willkie, an Elwood native and the 1940 Republican Nominee for the President of the United States. The park features a memorial to Wendell Willkie, the City’s water tower, a shelter house, picnic area, and playground. The site also is home to a small baseball field and concession stand which the YMCA uses for their peewee baseball program.
Now a small neighborhood park, the 1.02 acre Washington Park was once a playground for Washington Middle School. The old school, built in 1894, still stands at the corner of North 7th Street and North A Street. The park was donated to the Elwood Parks and Recreation Department and features very traditional park amenities, including the Tom Reynolds Memorial Baseball Field, a basketball hoop, and playground equipment.
Donated by to the City by the local Kiwanis Club, this 1.58 acre park has plenty of open space for active recreation. Located on South G Street off of South 22nd street, Kiwanis Park offers playground equipment, a basketball court, and a large play field.
South P Athletic Fields
The South P Athletic Fields are located in the southern part of Elwood. The site is owned by the Elwood Parks Department and leased to a private organization that uses the facilities for baseball and football leagues. The site has one large football field and one baseball field.
Civic Center Park
Civic Center Park is a new addition to the Elwood Parks and Recreation System. The park was added in 2003 when the new Civic Center was constructed. At that time a fountain was constructed at the center of the site. In 2006, Transportation Enhancement funds from the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) were awarded to the City to complete the park.
Published by The Woman's Council Elwood Chamber of Commerce Under the auspices of The Elwood Centennial Committee, Inc.
William Barton opened a store in Pipe-Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana. This store, not far from the banks of Duck Creek was just east of where the City Building now stands. Although the town was, for some years, called Duck Creek, it had really been named Quincy. At first there was no post office and people used the one in New Lancaster
James Anderson, Mark Simmons and J. B. Frazier laid out the town with one north and south street which was called Anderson street and three east and west streets. These were Main street, Simmons street which is now A street, and Walnut street which is now north A street. There were already many settlers and the first school was built at what is the corner of south Anderson street at south P street.
The town was fortunate to have a railroad come through. What was then the Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad later became the the Pennsylvania Railroad system.
Florence Burress Wright, daughter of Solomon A. and Margaret Burress was the first child born in Elwood. A granddaughter, Mrs. G. T. Hosecuster lived at 409 north 12th street at the time this publication was written.
The town of Quincy now numbered about 300 people. Francis M. Hunter, who had a store was also postmaster. He was notified by the post-office department that Indiana already had a town in Owens County named Quincy, and the department suggested that the name here be changed. As a group of men were discussing the matter they noticed the small son of Jesse B. Fraiser playing about. His name was Elwood and someone suggested that they give the town his name, so, officially on June 15 1869 Quincy became Elwood.
Wm. Barton opened the first Bank.
Elwood was incorporated as a town and elected the following town officials, Huston Clendenen, G. W. Hupp, and John Ross, trustees; George Ross, treasurer; J.H. Hunter, clerk, and J. M. Parsons, marshal. A new railroad, mostly a freight line, came through Elwood, this was the Muncie, Lafayette and Bloomington system, later the Lake Erie and western, or the L. E. & W. which the citizens dubbed the Leave Early & Walk. This railway was important to Elwood because it provided transportation of grain and live stock to Buffalo and other eastern markets. In 1922 this line became the Nickel Plate.
This was the year in which B. J. Calloway erected the first brick building in Elwood to house his dry goods store opened the preceding year. that building is the nucleus of the old Montgomery Wards building at the corner of Main & Anderson streets.
The first factory in Elwood was a flax mill owned by John H. Wagner and Kidwell. It was located "way out in the country" at what is now the corner of Main st. and 22nd street. This factory burned and was never rebuilt. At this time the town was shipping quantities of lumber, heading and stave materials. There was a Methodist and a Christian Church, a brick school house, a good hotel, a livery stable, a flouring mill and a tan yard, the latter located where the gymnasium now stands Among the business firms Burris & Quick, J.M. DeHority & son, H.C.Calloway and A. Chamness and Dwiggins were merchants. The Druggists were F.M. Hunter, J.F. Mock, and Hunter and Waymire. The Harnessmakers firm was T. Samuals & Brother, and the shoemakers were James Parsons, William Hoppenrath and John Buckanan.J.M.Overshiner and Company made wagons and George Barns and Son and James Hanna were blacksmiths. Lumber dealers were Sawyer, Cochran & son and Gustave Kramer. J.T. Adire was a miller and F.M. Hunter was the postmaster.
The first newspaper in Elwood was the Elwood Review, founded by George Winters. This plant was at the corner of Main and Anderson street on the site of the old Montgomery Wards building.
Natural gas wells were discovered, wild excitement and a genuine boom followed. New industries came for the cheap fuel; gas lights flared continually; streets and sidewalks were paved and the population in a few years from 2280 to over 15.000 people. They had no meters, a flat rate prevailed. 10 cent per month for cooking, .75 cent a month for heating, .05 cents per month for each jumbo light in the house. The street lights burned day and night as it was more economical than to hire a man to turn them off and on each day. We still use gas for heating, but natural gas is piped in from Texas and mixed with artificial gas.
Elwood had grown up and in this year was incorporated as a city. On June 9th an election was held and William DeHority, at the age of 21 became out first mayor at a salary of $100.00 dollars a year. O.A. Armfield became clerk , at $250.00 per year, and Thomas DeHority was treasurer at $200.00 per year. The city marshal was Frank Hunter whose salary was $720.0 per year, the most because he had the longest hours.
The city engineer, H.S. Freeman worked only as needed and received $4.00 per day. City Attorney George Ballard received $300.00 per year. Councilmen of the first ward were, George Brier and Jacob Kraus, of the second ward; Hugh Lyst and Martian Goode, the third ward; Daniel Heck and Samuel Cochran, the fourth ward was John Frith and Beecher Willots. These men were paid 75.00 per year and the street commissioner, George Steiback $2.00 per day. Dr. James Ringo, secretary of the Board of Health received $50.00 per year.
The first electric power plant was opened in June. The American Sheet and Tin Plate opened a plant is Elwood to make the first tin ever manufactured in America. Part of the plant was shipped from Wales. William Banfield headed a group of Welsh and English tin makers who immigrated to Elwood to staff the Elwood plant. On Sept. 13, 1892 this "mill" as it was usually called, was formally opened with a big celebration known as McKinley Day. William B. Leeds and Danial G. Reid, financiers of Richmond, Indiana and interested in the Pennsylvania Railroad, had conceived the idea of putting a tin factory in Elwood. To do this it was necessary to have a tariff law passed which would favor the manufacture and exportation of tin. William McKinley was then a senator from Ohio and due largely to his efforts, the necessary bill was passed. Later he became Ohio's Governor and shortly afterwards was invited to Elwood to dedicate the new mill.There was a huge crowd on hand and even a downpour of rain didn't dampen the enthusiasm. The Tin Plate was increased eventually to 28 hot mills which made it the largest as well as the first plant of its kind in America The fire department was organized April 1, 1892. Patrick O'Brian became fire chief Oct. 1st 1892. the department was located on west Main street where the Standard stores parking lot use to be, but was moved to the City Building in 1900. Horse-drawn apparatus was used, until the Big Kramer Grand fire, after which the faithful horses were sadly replaced by motor trucks. In 1892 the department consisted of two regular men, eight volunteers, one wagon and two horses. Six paid men were added in 1895 and in 1899 they added two more paid men and dropped the volunteers.
By 1893 Elwood had 45 industries with a capitalization of $7,467,000 and employment of 3,735 men. Confidence in Elwood's future was unlimited.
This year saw the completion of the new City Building at a cost of $35,000. At that time the councilmen were Phil Hamm, L.J. Ringo, Lute Douge, and William Davis. F. M. Harbit was mayor, J.J. Davis was clerk, W.A. Hupp, treasurer, and John Finan engineer. The building commissioners were F.F. Hornack and E. Rummel, J.S. Alexander and Son were the architects.
The Indiana Union Traction Company had linked Elwood with Tipton and Alexandria, making it possible to leave Elwood almost every hour on an interurban which would connect to places all ove the state.
The gas boom collapsed!! Although geologist had repeatedly affirmed that the supply of gas was practically inexhaustible, nevertheless it did give out. The blow was sudden and stunning- besides the Tin Plate many large glass factories had located here , among them were Pittsburgh Plate Glass, the McBeth Evans, the McCoy Glass company and many others with smaller payrolls. Most of the factories left and many of the people. The Tin Plate and McBeth Evans companies did remain for many years. The rich soil around Elwood has always yielded excellent grain crops. At the turn of the century it was found that this soil was adapted to the growing of tomatoes. O.B. Frazier had been canning tomatoes on his farm south of town. This was the start of an industry which has had an amazing growth, giving the farmers an added cash crop as well as employment to thousands of people.
The Elwood Police Department became a member of the Metropolitan Police of Indiana.
On July 4th 1918 the City Park was dedicated. This beautiful site of 40 wooded acres was a gift from one of Elwood's leading business, Henry C. Calloway. This park has afforded untold pleasures to thousands of people each year. It has ball diamonds, tennis courts, a shelter house, play ground for the kids, and tables & benches for the many picnics and reunions there. In 1932 the city added a swimming pool.
The Mercy Hospital had long been in the mind of Father Biegel and in the fall of 1925 the cornerstone was laid. The doctors of Elwood, the city officials, and the people all helped on this worthy and much needed project. Within 10 years the building had to be enlarged amd in 1951 another addition was built.The xray equipment was completely renovated so that our hospital, though small, was acknowledged to be one of the best in the state, and was officially rated so. The first patient was admitted on Nov. 15 1926.
The Elwood Country Club was organized by Wilfred Sellers, E.C. DeHority, James W. Harris, Luther M. Gross, Joseph H. Fihe, George H. DeHority and King Leeson, when they executed the Articles of Incorporation of the Elwood Country Club Realty Company. The Anthony Chanmess farm one & one half miles south of Elwood on State Highway 13 was purchased for the Country Club house and golf course. The wooded section between the club house and the highway was planted in a heart-shaped pattern in memory of Wilfred Sellers, who had given the ground for the club. This planting was done by the sales organization of the G.I. Sellers & Sons Company.
Fortunately for Elwood, the Continental Can Company located a plant here when factories were desperately needed. To celebrate this event Elwood had another big day when Continental Can Day was staged.
The first Tomato Festival was held, with Miss Zola Mae Cook choose to act as Queen of the ceremonies. Business and industrial firms, and many civic organizations had floats in the huge parade, and this festival, as well as several others which followed, was a gay and colorful celebration of the huge annual tomato crop which Elwood an vicinity harvests and packs each year.
During these years Elwood's two remaining large industries, the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company, known in later years as part of the Caregie Illinois Steel Company, and the McBeth Evans Glass Company closed their Elwood plants permanently. Cheap Fuel was not available and with transportation so costly it was no longer profitable to operate these industries here.
Realizing the critical situation, a group of Business men and women formed the Elwood Industrial Bureau, with the sole purpose of attracting new industries to Elwood. The officers were, president, King Leeson; vice-president, Orla A. Wann; treasurer, Rolland Neese; secretary, Sheridan Clyde. The directors were Robert H. Carpender, Roy Laughlin, Merle Hoppenrath, Fred Van Tine, George Bonham, Jessie Dietzen and C.G. Norris.
The greatest day in Elwood's history came August 17, 1940, after four months of excitement such as Elwood had never known. For on that date Wendell L. Willkie accepted his nomination for President as a candidate of the Republican Party. Three hundred thousand people descended upon Elwood by train, car, bus and airplane. From downtown Elwood to Calloway park all traffic was forbidden so that the mass of people might move freely and in safe. The thermometer entered into the spirit of the excitement and stood in the high nineties, the dry earth yielded her top soil in fine dust that mixed with perspiration to plague the throngs too happy to care. Wendell had requested that the ceremony be held on the steps of the Central Building under the motto carved over the entrance "The Hope Of Our Country." As the plans progressed the committees realized that only Calloway Park could begin to accommodate the people. So Elwood, Itself, took over two ceremonies on the school house steps. On Friday night Aug 16th artist from all over the nation, who asked for the privilege, staged three hours of clever entertainment. All through the night people moved up and down the streets enjoying the coolness of the night and too eagar and excited to want to sleep. At 1 o'clock Saturday the bell in central tower, the same old bell which had been the center of many school boy pranks, began to ring as the neighbors and friends of Wendell and all the Willkie family rejoiced with him with the honor which had come to him. Deeply stirred by this scene, Wendell was overcome and rested a few minutes in one of the class rooms before moving on to the more formal ceremony conducted in the park. When the ceremony was over, as easily, quickly, and quietly as they had come, the great throng departed. At midnight, Elwood was again the small city - hot, exhausted, but deeply, humbly moved to gratitude that once again Elwood had risen to the occasion. Four years later a grief-stricken Elwood held memorial services in the First Methodist Church and the next day in solemn quiet, drove to Rushville to pay a last tribute to Wendell L. Willkie, her son.
In 1946 The Elwood Industrial Bureau became the Elwood Chamber Of Commerce with John C. Klumpp as the first paid full time secretary. Mr Klumpp held this position untill his resignation in 1950. Nineteen industries have located in Elwood due directly to the work of these two organizations, and indirectly others have also come.
In this year the Woman,s Council of the Chamber of Commerce was formed. Except in Indianapolis, Elwood was the only Chamber of Commerce in the state to have a Woman's Council as an auxiliary. The purpose was to aid in civic undertakings. One project was to visit new families who move into the city. Twice the council had informal parties for the newcomers, these parties were quite successful in the matter of mutually getting acquainted.
While preparing a short history of Elwood for the first newcomers party, members of the Woman's Council realized that the Centennial year was at hand. They began at once to interest Elwoodians in the celebration of the Centennial, with the result that the president of the Woman's Council, Mrs. Wm. Whitmore, were maned co-chairman of the Elwood Centennial committee, Inc. The other members of the Centennial Committee were chosen from a group of delegates from lodges, churches, sororities, clubs, and from other interested citizens who had been contacted by the Woman's Council. Led by this group, the citizens of Elwood sponsored Elwood's Gala Week. Reviewing the past hundred years we realize that the people of Elwood have always risen above their difficulties. Upon this realization we base our firm conviction that the problems of the next hundred years, different though they may be from those of the past century, will be successfully met.